Ice climbing in Chamonix Mont Blanc
Well known for its huge alpine terrain in altitude, Chamonix Valley can offer as well you a sort of ice falls suitable for all levels. From December to mid-March, most of the valley sinks in the shade of Mon Blanc and streams and water falls crystalize his activity.
More than 20 different sectors covering 200 icefalls of all levels can be found in Chamonix Valley, some of them in altitude, can be climbable in summer.
From beginners searching an initiation day, to consolidate ice-climbers willing to target some of the classic of the valley, Chamonix Vertical guides are ready to help you.
Some of the classics not to be missed :
- Any ice line in La Cremerie (Argentiere), excellent spot for beginners.
- École de glace du Berard (Vallorcine), man-made spot, not to missed !
- Glacier d’Argentiere, the classical “rive gauche du glacier” with some fine lines within an incredible panorama.
- Couloir Chéré, a super classic line almost at 4000m! not to be missed even in summer!
- Les moulins de la Mer de Glace, the opportunity to climb in an ancient glacier. A classic learning spot.
Ice climbing in Aosta Valley
As Patrick Gabarrou once wrote… “The Aosta Valley evokes for me the meaning of El Dorado of the mountains”. That expression from one of the best Alpine / ice climbers and visionary of the Mont Blanc massif new lines, take all the sense when crossing the Mont Blanc tunnel, you discover one of the many valleys descending from Grand Paradiso National Park.
The valleys of Cogne, Valnontey, Valeille, Valsavarenche, Valtournenche, among other 20 other valleys, are a paradise of vertical icefalls, a perfect playground for lovers of this sport.
From beginners to expert climbers anyone can find in Aosta valley his own line. Difficult or easy, long or short routes, Chamonix Vertical guides are true experts in the area and will advise you about conditions on the moment and the best options to your level.